Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catching You Up, 3/7: Hairspray

3/7 of the great posting update. Trust me this should not happen again.

Hairspray.

With the exception of the last film (7/7) in this bulk review, this is the only movie I've seen twice. And as such, if you are familiar with the musical or just the soundtrack, I recommend hitting the singalong and a nice light chardonnay.

I was not familiar with either the musical or the 1988 John Waters film. I was familiar with the basic story, and John Waters, so I kind of could brace myself for what was coming, and thought I'd walk out amused and go on with my day. By the end of the week I had the soundtrack and (I'm sad to say) going through a bit of a backlash right now because those songs are so damn catchy. As a result, not gonna talk about those too much.

While making my notes, I was surprised how much I was just writing down the names of people in the film. For example, I hope we see Nikki Blonsky some more... but not as a "Tracy type" or onstage. I'm intrigued.

Coming out on top of this whole thing, however, is the ultimate power couple: Walken/Travolta. I've become a little irked. I feel like Christopher Walken is appearing in films where he's the joke: like a gag: "Hey look, we got Christopher Walken for this! Isn't that a riot?" I honestly haven't seen him really act since Catch Me If You Can, and was relieved to see him here, having a hell of a time. I'm always happy to see actors really enjoying themselves onscreen, and he does a great job.

I have a confession: I love John Travolta. I know he's a crazy scientologist and all the rumours, I could care less. I've never heard a story about him being a total prick (I'm sure those exist, too) and if you didn't hear the "Come to Mama!" story, you can probably figure it out from that, and my God does he do a great job. If they're hard up for Supporting Nominees this year (see: Jack Sparrow), I can see Travolta very much at home in that category.

Coming in a close second for "What the hell are you doing having such a great time?" would be James Marsden, who I was so happy to see not playing 'the jilted guy' (Cyclops, looking in your general direction). Sorry that it looks like you'll be doing more of the same in Enchanted, but I'll root for you against McDreamy with all my might.

Also, Michelle Pfieffer? Great to see you back. Haven't see you since Muppets Tonight in, what? 199...6? You got some work done. Wow.

In short, good time, and you'll spend a lot of time going "Hey look it's--"
GRADE: B+

No comments: