Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catching You Up, 6/7: Stardust

Almost... there...

Stardust.
Another adaptation in which I am familiar with the source. I think I enjoyed the film more, and after seeing the trailer for Beowulf, I can understand why.

It differs from the book, but it's a good adaptation, and everything is in place that I was hoping for. It's a good popcorn movie. It's a great movie to see with your bff or significant other or whatever at 11 AM on a Sunday, which is exactly how I experienced it. I did have this question:

Not enough Pete.

That out of the way, oh my God, DeNiro made me giggle. My avoidance of all reviews of the film (not out of choice, just because I've hardly had a chance to look around in a week or two) made me completely surprised at his appearance. (Not that he was in the film, I've seen the FLYING PIRATES ads all over, just his character.) I'll keep my mouth shut so you can be afforded the same pleasant surprise.

Michelle Pfieffer
showed up again. I really like to think that the running gag of her looks is some sort of self-depricating jab at all the work she's gotten done but I know that's totally wrong. So instead, nice to see you again, Michelle!

It's good, it's light, it's fluffy. WARNING TO GAIMAN FANS: Very different ending. I mean, ultimately the same, but they get there a little differently, and I kind of like it. It lacked the weird unsettling deus-ex-machina vibe I found in the book.

Also, if you're wondering why the narrator sounds so soothing, it's because it's none other than Gand-- Magne-- Ian McKellen.
GRADE: B-

No comments: